Saturday, April 8, 2017

Hello from Copenhagen!

Hello Everyone!

I miss every single one of you and I wish abroad wasn't so great or else I would be running home (literally, I am never leaving). LOL jk, I will be home for Orientation because it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Realizing that some of you might not know who I am at all, here is a short introduction: So my name is Allison (some people call me Al) and I am a Junior Psychology and Health Science double major at Stonehill! This will be my third summer being a Peer Mentor and it is quite honestly the best experience that I have had on Stonehill's campus (so basically get excited because your life is about to change). On campus, I am also an RA - last semester I was placed in the Senior Courts and for the next school year I will be in Flynn in the Heights!

From the title, you can probably tell that I am studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark (also with Linsey Malia!!!!). I have grown to love this city so much and leaving in 5 weeks is going to be so hard to do. In Copenhagen, I am taking 5 classes (Cross-Cultural Psychology, Epidemiology, Neuroscience Methodology, Danish Language and Culture, and a photography class). Although there is not as much work for these classes, I am still learning SO much! My program, DIS, doesn't have classes on Wednesdays which are reserved for field trips around Copenhagen to dive more into course material. I have been to Danish schools to hospitals to medical museums - all to have a more hands on experience (peep the picture of my getting an EEG done at a hospital).

Apart from class, DIS's motto is "Scandinavia as your home, Europe as your classroom" and they way they set up there break schedule really shows that. Basically, we have class for 2 weeks and then a week off to travel. With that being said, I have been to:
  • Malmö, Sweden
  • Dublin, Ireland
  • Vienna, Austria
  • Berlin, Germany (with my Cross-Cultural Psychology class)
  • Athens, Greece
  • Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Milan, Venice, Florence, Perugia, Rome, Italy
  • Seville, Spain
In terms of living, I live in Amager (a small island that is apart of Copenhagen) in an apartment building with ~50 other American students from around the country. I live about 15-20 minutes away from DIS so I either take the bus or ride my bike (for those that know me, yes I can't believe that I ride a bike to class either). Although the weather in Copenhagen can be a drag at times (chilly and often cloudy), the days that it is sunny remind me why this country is deemed the "Happiest Country in the World."

I cannot believe that I only have 5 short weeks left of this most adventurous experience in my life thus far but I am also BEYOND excited to get to know each and every one of the new members on this team! I hope you all are enjoying the semester and best of luck with the final trainings and the endless amount of icebreakers that you are going to play!!!!

SEE YOU ALL SOON <3

Much love,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment